Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Softball

 Peyton decided that she wanted to play softball this year.  She took dance/tap when she was a preschooler and took gymnastics her first grade year, but I really wanted her to play an actual sport this year.  I thought she might want to play soccer, since some neighbor friends were and Karsten played and she already had an idea of how the game was played.  It also mostly involves just running and kicking, two skills that she already had.  But, she didn't want to.

She also didn't want to play basketball, which I thought she might like since my dad and Rob currently play and I used to play, but no, she did not want to.  She was adamant that she was going to play softball.  I worried since she didn't know anyone who was playing, so would be on a team with no friends.  It also involves throwing, catching, batting, and fielding a ball, all of which she has very little experience.  She also has never seen a baseball game before, so really had no idea even how the game was played.  But, she was absolutely sure that this was what she wanted to do, so we signed her up for the fall league, which is a less involved season with only one game and one practice a week.

Her first game and practice were almost painful to watch.  She was terrible (understandably) and had absolutely no idea what she was doing.  But, after the second and third practice and game, she is getting better.  I hope that she wants to play in the spring as well so that she can continue to work on her skills and really give it a shot.  I am proud of her for wanting to try  something new and doing it all on her own.  I am sure that when I was her age, I would not have been so brave.  We love you #9- Go Pumpkins!!!







1 comment:

  1. She is a trooper. Good girl for finding her own sport!

    ReplyDelete