Thursday, August 13, 2009

VBS 2009

Our church had their Vacation Bible School last week and I was one of the directors again this year. It was a lot of planning, but really fun and we have so many dedicated and giving parents that getting enough volunteers was really easy. Maddie and Adam came down again to stay with my mom for the week, so they got to participate as well. We invited our neighbors, Sadie and Ella, too which was great since Sadie is Peyton's age and Ella is Maddie's age.
The 3 amigos- my co-directors Erika and Christine...
My mom's second cousins, Erin and Shaun, also came down from East Texas again this year to help out. They are in high school and Erin seems to enjoy helping with VBS and Shaun just sort of tolerates it. They have a lot of fun in the afternoons with my mom though. She takes them cool places and they seem to like hanging out with Maddie and Adam and my kiddos. Karsten loves Erin. She has been one of the group leaders in his age group the past 2 years. He holds her hand walking from every activity and sits in her lap whenever possible. Karsten actually asked me what it would be like if Erin was his mom! My mom played an important role again this year as the Assembly Time Leader, Blaze. The theme was Camp EDGE (Experience and Discover God Everywhere) and she was our camp leader. She was part of the skit in the morning and at closing and she was a hoot, as usual. I knew we were in for it when she called me Sunday night and told me she was trying to decide between and English accent or an old hick accent for her part. My mom really knows how to put on a show. The kids loved the skit between her and Sparx, a fox puppet. I ended up subbing in for the music teacher the last 2 days of VBS and I actually really enjoyed it. It was a last minute substitution so I was not prepared at all, but I was surprised at how fun it was to get to interact with all the kids as they rotated through. This year will be my last to be a director. I think3 years is enough. I will do something to help out the whole week next year and I think I will enjoy just being a part of things for that week and not the 8 or 9 months of planning that I have been doing.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! I know that was a lot of work, but it looks like the kids really enjoyed it. Wyatt and Mason LOVED Sparx too!

    ReplyDelete